The Ethereum Foundation (EF) is a global non-profit organization dedicated to supporting Ethereum and related technologies. Our mission is to do what is best for Ethereum’s long-term success. Our role is to allocate resources to critical projects, be a valued voice within the Ethereum ecosystem, and advocate for Ethereum to the outside world.
The journey into Ethereum is complicated and intimidating for the average person, whether it's learning the basics of the technology, buying their first ETH and setting up a wallet, discovering dapps, or exploring how to get involved in the ecosystem, e.g. by running a node, staking, or learning to build their first decentralized application with smart contracts. We're looking for a talented product designer who can bring simplicity, excitement, and inspiration to this journey.
You'll lead the design of ethereum.org and other Ethereum Foundation products that onboard millions of monthly visitors into the Ethereum ecosystem. You'll work hands-on with our scrappy product and engineering team to create intuitive, rewarding, and accessible web applications for a diverse range of global users. You'll leverage user testing and design best practices to create a world-class experience that empowers the next generation of Ethereum users and builders.
- You're an ambitious product designer. You're interested in owning the full design lifecycle of our web products. You're able to take rough concepts and ideas and turn them into simple, easy-to-follow flows and mocks, and take product specifications and turn them into production-ready screens. You are growth-minded and enjoy some amount of ambiguity, autonomy, and freedom to experiment in a fast-paced environment. You care about design principles and design systems and have a vision of how to iterate towards excellence.
- You're a strong collaborator. You have excellent attention to detail and organizational skills. You're an effective communicator with the ability to articulate your ideas, present your work, and adapt to feedback or engineering constraints. You may not know how to code, but you know how to create designs with consideration for ease of implementation and maintainability in the code. You're comfortable collaborating with a cross-functional team in a remote environment to achieve consensus on design directions.
- You’re a user advocate. You craft UX solutions that meet critical objectives and inspire the team to push the status quo. You can moderate research sessions to test your ideas and back your product thinking with qualitative and quantitative data.
- You're fascinated by Ethereum... the community as much as the technology. You're enthusiastic about open source and design in public. You're a self-starter with a curiosity to learn about the fast-changing and exciting crypto industry. You care deeply about bringing this technology mainstream and improving the onboarding experience for a diverse range of Ethereum users.
- Take ownership over the core design strategies for ethereum.org and the suite of web applications we develop from initial concept to deployment and beyond.
- Create storyboards, wireframes, lo-fi sketches, prototypes, and high-fidelity visual designs to meet the needs of different stages of our product development lifecycle.
- Collaborate actively with our developers to translate design into product. Proactively facilitate design to development hand-offs.
- Translate complex technology concepts into highly usable and intuitive web pages and interactive products.
- Participate in regular design reviews where you’ll seek out specific input on your designs and incorporate relevant feedback.
- Help establish the Ethereum brand on ethereum.org by creating guidelines, utilizing and expanding on our design system and visual language.
- Push to improve design and development processes by building design systems, research methodologies, identifying efficiencies, and communicating best practices.
Required skills and experience:
- You have 3+ years of experience designing production-ready digital products.
- Strong portfolio showcasing your design thinking and process, as well as excellent visual design skills.
- Fluency in Figma or similar design/prototyping tools and comfort with iterative product development lifecycles.
- You're passionate about the crypto/blockchain space, have dabbled with Ethereum applications, and are excited to dive deeper into the world of Web3 product design.
- Flexibility and excitement for early-stage teams with evolving frameworks, processes, and roadmaps.
- Content design or copywriting experience is a big plus.
- Experience running your own research.
- Experience with mobile-first designs.
- Experience with GitHub collaboration (particularly open source).
- Deep understanding of blockchain, its use cases, and user journeys.
- Have designed Web3 app UIs and/or large-scale websites with multiple user journeys.
- Experience with accessibility, inclusive design practices, and internationalization.
- Comfort with fundamental web development technologies (HTML, CSS, DOM, etc).
- Interest in learning to prototype designs directly in the codebase.
- This is a full-time, remote position.
- Compensation will ultimately depend on your experience, skillset, and contract structure but you can expect $50-70 USD per hour or $95,000-$135,000 USD annual salary.
- This role is location agnostic and can be performed from anywhere in the world but we ask that you overlap some working hours with Pacific Time (UTC−08:00).
To apply to this position, please include a resume or CV and a link to your website or portfolio. In your cover letter, please include your answer to the question "How do you feel about decentralization?".